High Desert Memories - A Hometown Journal Commemorating Ridgecrest California
A railway town since its founding, Barstow is now a city of 60,000 people. In 1888, the Santa Fe Railroad arrived in town and a splendid station was built in the middle of the Mojave Desert. The town was named after the president of the Santa Fe, William Barstow Strong, and it soon became a service center for the gold and silver mines that surrounded the community.
Before all this feverish activity in the late 1800s, the Mojave Desert had been occupied by Indian tribes who (2,000 years ago) lived beside the immense lakes that covered most of the Mojave. Today, the landscape is bone dry, and Barstow is a highway town, at the junction of Interstate Highways 15 and 40, on the routes between Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Flagstaff. The railway station has been converted into a restaurant and shops. More about Barstow HERE , HERE and HERE